You can easily change your system administrative password from either GUI or command line. At first we will see how to change system administrative password with the help of GUI.
Follow the steps for GUI:
- Go to System Settings by Dash home or directly from Launcher.
- Now click on User Accounts on System Settings window.
- Click on Unlock, top right side of the User Accounts window to unlock the edit option.
- Enter password for authentication and click on Authenticate button.
- Click on right side button following by Password:.
- Put Current password, New password and Confirm password in particular text field. You can also choose a random system generated password by clicking the combo box right side of the New password.
- Click on Change button.
- Finally Click on Lock to lock the edit option and close the window.
Follow the steps for command line:
- Open Terminal by using shortcut Ctrl+alt+t.
- Write passwd and press enter.
- Enter (current) UNIX password: and press enter.
- Enter new UNIX password: and press enter.
- Retype new UNIX password: and press enter.
- Finally you can see the message, password updated successfully.
Now you are the owner of the new security weapon.
Try it yourself.